How to Use Facial Oil
Applying facial oil may seem like a daunting task, but it is actually quite simple! Facial oil is a great way to take care of your skin, keeping it looking healthy and youthful. To apply facial oil effectively, there are a few key steps that you should follow. Just follow these steps and you will be on your way to beautiful, healthy skin.
Cleanse Your Face
The first thing you should do is wash your face gently with a mild, fragrance-free cleanser. This will help to remove any dirt or grime that may be clogging up your pores and causing blemishes.
Dry Face, Leaving Partially Damp
After cleansing, pat your face dry with a clean soft towel leaving your skin partly damp (you don't want to fully dry your face). If you are using any serums, eye creams, moisturizers, sunscreens, etc. now is the time to apply them. Wait 2-3 minutes between applying each product to allow absorption to happen.
Apply Oil Using Gentle, Circular Upward Motions
With clean washed hands, apply a small amount of facial oil to your fingertips. Do not touch the bottle dropper to your skin (face or fingers) this will contaminate your bottle. Gently rub your fingers together to warm the oil. This will help the oil spread more evenly over your skin. Finally, gently massage the oil into your skin using gentle circular upward motions, taking care not to pull or tug at the skin. Focus on any areas that tend to be dry or prone to breakouts.
Follow these easy Do's and Don't, and you'll be on your way to glowing, radiant skin in no time.
- Touch the bottle dropper to your skin! This will contaminate the dropper and ultimately your whole bottle! Yikes...no thanks!
- Forget to wash your hands!
- Start off using too much oil. Your skin is an organ and might need some time to adjust! If you feel like you have oil that is just sitting on your skin, it might be because you've added too much oil.
- Fully dry your skin or apply facial oil to a completely dry face.
- Be overly rough on your face when applying the oil (or anytime for that matter).
- Forget to apply facial oil to your neck and decollétage.
- Drop oil into your hands.
- Anytime you touch your face remember to start with clean hands (yes, it's basic but it's something that is so often forgotten).
- Start off with 2-4 drops of oil to begin. Start small and once your skin has adjusted, you can increase the amount if needed. Less is more to begin.
- Either partly dry your face after washing or if your face is already dry, spritz it with hydrolysis, rose water, or water.
- Be gentle! Take extra care especially around and near your eye area.
- These areas are often overlooked but they can benefit from the nourishing effects of facial oil just as much as your face can.
Things to Keep in Mind When Starting off Using a Facial Oil
If you have particularly oily skin or acne-prone skin, try using a moisturizer in addition to the facial oil for additional hydration and moisture. You can also experiment with different types of facial oils to find one that works best for your particular skin type.
As with most skincare products, it's important to pay close attention to how your skin reacts when you first start using facial oil. If you notice any redness or irritation after applying the oil, discontinue use immediately and consult with a dermatologist for further advice and recommendations. With the right application technique and the right facial oil for your specific skin type, however, you can achieve beautiful, healthy-looking skin by simply adding this simple but effective skincare product into your daily routine.